Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Recipe 42 - Oh ddduhduhdear! Vegan Bulgogi

Ah Korea.. they bring such cute babies into the world.  And apparently they make some good Bulgogi.

Yes, that's what my final asian month veganization is going to be.. Korean Bulgogi.

Let's talk about this, shall we?

Bulgogi is a Korean dish that usually consists of marinated barbecued beef, chicken or pork. It is listed at number 23 on World's 50 most delicious foods readers' poll compiled by CNN Go in 2011.

(hhmmm)

Bulgogi is believed to have originated during the Goguryeo era (37 BC–668 AD) when it was originally called maekjeok (맥적), with beef being grilled on a skewer. It was called neobiani (너비아니), meaning "thinly spread" meat, in the Joseon Dynasty and was traditionally prepared especially for the wealthy and the nobility class.
Before cooking Bulgogi, the meat is marinated to enhance its flavour and tenderness with a mixture of soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, garlic, pepper and other ingredients such as scallions, onions or mushrooms, especially white button mushrooms or shiitake. Sometimes, cellophane noodles are added to the dish, which varies by region and specific recipe.

Bulgogi is traditionally grilled, but pan-cooking is common as well. Whole cloves of garlic, sliced onions and chopped green peppers are often grilled or fried with the meat.This dish is sometimes served with a side of lettuce or other leafy vegetable, which is used to wrap a slice of cooked meat, often along with a dab of ssamjang, or other side dishes, and then eaten as a whole.



Well ok then!   Facts about a dish I've never had.   Live and learn.. live and learn.

So, I'm making my bulgogi with 'pork'.. and not this kinda pork:  
(Good god, people this is a VEGAN blog.. besides, who would eat Piglet?)

Anyway
Let's look at some numbers.



Traditional Bulgogi                                               Vegogi
Calories    310                                                       185
Total Fat   8.6                                                        4.5
Cholesterol  131                                                      0
Sodium 1135                                                         560
Total Carbohydrate  2.7                                            6
Dietary Fiber   0.3                                                    4                       
Protein    52.3                                                        18
WWpts -  7                                                              3


So - I'm also about to pair this fabu dinner with..
'Tipsy Ducks in Love' and I don't mean this:










I mean this:











And yes - all you see there on that menu is going in my drink.  What doesn't make it vegan?  Hello - cream?!
And just for fun - I'm not doing the numbers on it either.. (nanny nanny boo boo).
 :D  This is actually a VERY NEW Disney World (more detailed Animal Kingdom/Asia) drink so finding the actual nutrition info on it I have not.. but whatevs.  Woo.. I'll have to play some Disney music!

So, I was going to do this veganization on Saturday - but it turns out that Saturday is national vegan pizza day - so the girl and I are going to celebrate with her vegan version of Dewey's Green Lantern and I'm going to make a cherry pie pizza - so that means this one has to move up to Friday!

So my darling dear and I will enjoy vegogi and end up being two happy tipsy ducks in love after our veganization - in a hot house.  A hot house! (It's supposed to be 102!  I guess I'd better pull out the window AC).

Keep it tuned here - we'll either die of heat-stroke or we'll die of eat-stroke.
Ahahaha.
Ok

Friday it is.
I'll leave you with this ponder - What Would Song-Siyeol Joseon say?


Music enjoyed while blogging: 
Air (not the band - the white noise, and not that band either).

Current Motivation:
I have none, I need a nap


Current Craving:
Popcorn      

1 comment: