Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Recipe 95 - I think we just entered Wonderland.



Willkommen!   We're on the third leg of our European vacation and we've landed here in German Town.

It's taken me half way across the world before I decided I'd try my hand at veganizing this little item I'm about to go with - considering I can find it in my own back yard, but I digress.. we're in Germany, and we'll do as the Germans do.


And look at clocks.






Just kidding.

There are so many fun words here, it makes me feel like Alice In Wonderland! 
We've got Kuchen, we've got Kartoffelpuffer, heck - we even have pishsalver!  (Okay, that is an Alice in Wonderland name)



As we continue on our fun (we're on vacation so I'm not going to be too hard on you).   Let's remember the pigs and the cows that give their lives daily for our next meal..  however no-one had to die for ours.





Let's talk about this:
"Goetta is a breakfast sausage of  German origin. It is primarily composed of ground meat (pork, or pork and beef), steel-cut oats and spices. Pronounced gétt-aa, ged-da or get-uh Americanized pronunciation, this dish probably originated with German settlers from the northwestern regions of Oldenburg, Hannover, and Westphalia who emigrated to the Cincinnati area in the 19th century. The word "Goetta" comes from the Low German word götte.

Goetta was originally a peasant dish, meant to stretch out servings of meat over several meals to conserve money."

Hey, I'm a peasant, and I live pretty much in the Nati.   This is for me!

It's time to find Alice's grandmother and discuss with her what I need for this.. very interesting dish.

NUMBERS

Goetta                                                 Vegoetta
             (one flippin ounce is all you get)
Calories  - 70                                          18
Total Fat  - 5                                            2
Cholesterol -20                                         0
Sodium - 145                                           43
Total Carbs -4.5                                        3
Fiber -1                                                     2
Protein - 2.5                                              1
WW Pts - 2                                               1

Okay..  so, despite my sligtly heavy load this weekend (in Germany of course - I'm sightseeing and all).  This will get made one evening, to enjoy probably the next day.   According to most recipes, it's got to 'set'.  So, we'll see how that goes.

Wish me luck.
Kerflooferfleffer.... or something some such.

We'll see you soon!


Music enjoyed while blogging:
My soap opera

Current Craving:
Fried Tempeh

Current Motivation
Sleeping Soundly

No comments:

Post a Comment