Wednesday, February 29, 2012

"Green" pasta and pesto! Recipe 28

Ah, the things we don't realize are not vegan.
 
This weekend my veganization will be Green Pasta w/Pesto.   We're starting 'green' month here at RoVL.. and we're starting it off VERY green! 

Traditional egg noodles? Well, there's egg in them there noodles!   My noodles are going to be made (by hand) with flax and spinach.. (no green food color here!)
Traditional pesto?  Filled with cheese.   And, we can't have that!

So, I'm proud to announce - I'm veganizing pesto and pasta.  (You can't stand the excitement, can you?)

You might find it odd that the first time I was exposed to Pesto, my boss, Debra and her ex Laura had made it for myself and my BFF. (I recall her even sending us home with a lil container of it.  It was yummy!)  I think I was 22?  I didn't eat pesto before the age of 22! 

Let's look at the origins of Pesto, shall we?

"Pesto (Italian pronunciation: [pesto], Genoese: [pestu]) is a sauce originating in Genoa in the Liguria region of northern Italy (pesto genovese) , and traditionally consists of crushed garlic, basil and European pine nuts blended with olive oil and Parmigiano Reggiano and Fiore Sardo (pecorino sardo). The name is the contracted past participle of the Genoese word pestâ (Italian: pestare), which means to pound, to crush, in reference to the original method of preparation, with marble mortar and wooden pestle. However, the ingredients in a traditionally made pesto are not "pounded" but "ground" with a circular motion of the pestle in the mortar. This same Latin root through Old French also gave rise to the English word pestle."

Ok, I'm now officially hungry!



So, let's do the numbers on this beautiful little dish.

Traditional:                                       Vegan:
                                One Serving
Calories – 358                                     106
Total Fat  - 23g                                     9g
Cholesterol  - 9mg                                0mg
Sodium  - 217mg                                118mg
Total Carbohydrate - 27g                      18g 
Dietary Fiber  - 2.5g                              2g
Protien – 12.2g                                     8.5g
ww pts: 10                                            5



And there we have it.
So, tomorrow night I'll hit the grocery with my girl.. (and look, I said it again, didn't I?   It's not like we've not been on 21 or so dates, and haven't known each other for at least 300 years or anything, lol.. I think it's safe to say it now.)    So for our 22nd date we're going to the grocery store!! :)   Hahah, but not before she takes me to Chipotle.   :P   And we're going to buy goodies for my veganization, which she raised her hand first on and gets to be treated to on Sunday.  What's more, is this ladybug of mine is going to try her hand at vegan alfredo (the hard way) for me on Saturday.   (Does she get any better folks?  She's a carnie and she's coooking vegan for me! <3   That's a keeper.)    I'll stop basking in a love glow now.. let me get back to business.

This hard work starts on Friday with spinach noodles... kneaded, rolled out and cut by hand.  
Then, continues into Sunday with the creation of the pesto... and ends when the last noodle is sucked up.
It's going to be good..
Yoga, Pesto and ---shh I'm not telling anyone about this next thing until I can show it to you!

*sneaky mc sneakerson*

Keep it real peeps..Kanye West is playin' on my Pandora.

See you Sunday - er Monday, or whenever I post again!

Music enjoyed while blogging:
Pandora Radio - Sheri's Shoobop - Currently, Kanye West "Heartless".


Current Craving:
Pasta


Current Motivation:
Loving Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment