Wednesday, November 30, 2011

And you wonder where Mint and Nympho come from, right?

Every time you read my titles you say to me... "what's that mean?"
I, gentle reader -- I have no idea.  But as I always say, we'll go with it.   If there's one thing that Kundalini yoga has taught me, it's to go with the flow.   Shoot, I may not like it, but honestly there's nothing I can do about it half the time, so I have to flow with the tide, not against it.  Right?

Ok, Whatever.   It's time to talk about peppermint candy.  Like, the candy that looks like a gauge that's sitting in my kitchen right now that I'd like to smash into little pieces.... (ok, getting off track.)  Peppermint.  AH Peppermint.

"The name peppermint comes from Greek mythology in the form of a love triangle. As in all Greek mythologies, there are many versions of the story. The most popular one states that Hades seduced the nymph, Minthe, and his wife, Persephone, became enraged with jealousy and turned Minthe into a plant that people would constantly walk on.
Outraged by his wife's interference, Hades imbued the plant with peppermint, so whenever the plant was crushed underneath footfalls, it would release a wonderful aroma. Hades hoped that by doing this, people would remember Minthe and recall how beautiful and full of life she had been. Persephone was furious over her husband's tampering, because Minthe's presence would forever linger in the air as a constant reminder of her presence. In another version, Persephone turned Minthe into peppermint (other versions state mint) as a way to save her from Hades's seduction."

Ok, wow.   That's a lesson, I suppose.   Let's move on to what we plan on doing with peppermint.. which is also a staple of the holiday season which we are in right now.

Once upon a time there was this thing called "Market Day" (well, it's still around) but back in the day, AK and I would get this dangerous thing called "Candy Cane Pie" and usually argue over who got the last piece.  And that piece would look a little somethin' like this: 

Oh HELO YUM.
Yeah.. the stuff is dangerous.. and oh SO NOT vegan.. but guess what?  I'm going to make my very own version.. vegan style.  I'm excited, also a bit scared.  This could be an epic fail of huge proportions... mainly because this is a ridiculously cream based pie with not much to go on.  Also, there's no such thing (unless I hand make it) as vegan colored white chocolate chips.. (anywhere close anyway if there is).  So, if this IS an epic fail, our 'dessert and drink' night may end up in a 'drinking game' night. lol.   Let's not think about that though.. instead lets talk about how awesome this is going to be and how messy it's going to make my kitchen and myself.   Ah who cares?  Bring it on.  And, while we're 'bringin' it on', lets bring on a new name, and the numbers, shall we?

Candy Cane Pie                                           Minthe Nymph Pie (ya like?)        
Calories - 530                                                        305                                          
Fat - 36g                                                                12                                     
Cholesterol -110mg                                                 0                                                    
Sodium  -190mg                                                     84                                                                 
Carbs   - 47g                                                          30                                                      
Fiber - 1g                                                                2   
Protien - 3g                                                             1                                                              
WW Pts - 15                                                          6

I am.. impressed.   I used to be able to put away half that pie in 2 days.  What was I thinking?!?!  Oh well.. regardless, this is a quickie post.   Why?  Because I have to get back to work.. work work shmerk.    ;p  This little piece of holiday heaven will be created lovingly in my kitchen on Friday.. keep your eye out for my sticky fingers to press out the keys on my laptop about how messy it's getting... maybe I'll cry?  Maybe I'll sing... maybe I'll get to watch a stop-motion holiday masterpiece for my efforts.

Until then - no cheating.  And, remember, Bumbles bounce!
       


Music enjoyed while writing this blog:
Lamb - Angelica
Thievery Corporation - Language Symbolique
Sia - Breathe Me
La Roux - Bulletproof
Frou Frou - Breathe In
Massive Attack - What Your Soul Sings
The Bird and The Bee - My Love

Current Craving:  
Chocolate

Current Motivation:
Love

No comments:

Post a Comment