Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Gotta get the un-gratin!

I got bored with myself, and maybe slightly unhappy.   So, in lieu of waiting on the ROVL to take shape in an actual book form, I decided I need to engage all of you lovely people again with more veganizations.
This time, I'm sharing the recipes. :)

*Do your happy dance!*

So, last night I decided to try 'Cauliflower Steaks w/Spinach Gratin & Green Beans' - loosely based on this recipe - right HERE.   Although I didn't have spinach (don't judge.)

So - this is what it's supposed to look like:
Right.
So, let's get on with it.

I get all of my ingredients together:



  • 1 Head Cauliflower
  • 3 Ounces Baby Spinach (nope - nada, didn't have it. SORRY CHARLIE)
  • 2 Cloves Garlic
  • 6 Ounces Green Beans
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter - (Earth Balance)
  • 2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 Cup Milk - (So delicious coconut milk)
  • 2 Ounces Cheddar Cheese- (Mozzerella Daiya Shreds)
  • ¼ Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
  • 1 Lemon
  • 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
  • ¼ Cup Slivered Almonds - (of which I subbed corn - don't judge here either, this vegan didn't have almonds last night).

  • I start the way they suggest.  I cut the cauliflower (which didn't come out quite as pretty as theirs).  I put it all up in the oven at 500 degrees (even the burnt cookie dough from 8 years ago that burned so bad I couldn't clean it off started to smell cookieish again!)  And baked the Cauli - which in the end turned out like so:


    Whilest that was baking, they suggested I do all this chopping to green beans (read the recipe, I gave you my substitutions - you can read the recipe all on your own.  I'm not doing your work for you!) ;)   
    I had frozen green beans.  Who wants to chop green beans when they're already hungry? I'd already chopped up garlic. I was done chopping.  I also had no almonds to toast, so to add color I used frozen corn.. whatever. I liked it.
     When those came out - quickly, I did the little mustard/lemon thing it suggests at the end and sat them off to the side, where you'll also note I'd completed the home -made panko.



     It was then off to the reason this whole thing caught my eye to begin with.   The bechamel sauce.
    Creamy, cheesy fattening goodness.  Of which I not only baked on my cauliflower but I SLATHERED it on when it was done baking, too.
    (I might have also eaten the rest from the bowl but we won't talk about it.).
    Anyhoo - the bechamel is the un-vegan part of this recipe.  I gave you my subs.   You could also sub any of your favorite vegan cheeses or vegan milks as well.  Right now I'm in a hot and torrid love affair with Field Roast Chao.. but I digress, it's too good to put in a recipe. I eat it raw.



     So after I cooked my bechamel, the cauliflower steaks (as seen above) were ready to come out of the 23408572349747 degree oven, which I think might be clean of cookie now.   I didn't pay attention.
    Once those came out, I was to spread the bechamel (which is supposed to have spinach in it, but it didn't, because I didn't have spinach, and even if I did I probably wouldn't have used it. Bechamel is better without greens to me.  So I spread, cover with breadcrumbs and bake again.








    This - to your right its what it should look like (sans the spinach) when it comes out of the oven.. however, with more cauliflower on it, I'd already had my share before I took this particular picture.












    So - what's mine all look like thrown together w/o spinach or almonds?

    VOILA! 
    Now, would I make this again?   No.  I prefer my cauliflower boiled, blended with milk and butter and made into faux mashed potatoes.  However, I love potatoes more but I'd prefer cauliflower done that way too.


    I'm going to try and do something for this blog every week if I can.  If there's a recipe you'd like to see me veganize - don't hesitate to email it to me:  sherifuqua@gmail.com
    I'll even give you a shout out on the blog for veganizing your recipe.
    Or - if there's a vegan recipe of yours you'd like me to put my own spin on or try - email me that, too.  I need ideas.  Lot's of them, if I'm going to get back into the groove.
    I've missed writing to you guys.  I've missed being part of something.
    I'm back!

    And one more shout out to The Blue Apron - for their un-vegan recipe, which again you can find HERE.

    Now - try it by yourself! :)


    See you next week!

    Music enjoyed while blogging:  The Muppets - Rainbow Connection
    Current Mood:  Getting better
    Current Craving:  Something deep fried.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment