Wednesday, May 8, 2013

What Would Mom Make??



Welcome back and happy early Mothers Day to all of you fine mothers out there.   I myself am a mother (to cats) and I'm wondering if they'll get me the same card this year as they've done the past two years?  (I think they keep sending Sabrina out for it, and she's old and forgets quite a bit).  No matter, I know my kids love me!


So, it being Mothers Day, I got to thinking about foods mom would make, (not my mom, I can't recall my mom ever making this dish).. but moms in general.  Like, you see moms on tv and such making this.   Regardless, I wanted to stay in the 'meaty May' spectrum and throw Mothers Day in somehow, and let's not forget what every mom does best?  Protects her children.

I'd like to see more moms out there go vegan and promote it to their children.. why?
Well, look at some of these statistics.. (And we're going for red meat here this time):

When it comes to the meat that we buy in the store and beyond, this might be, for you,  a lot of info to take in, but do.. it's important

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved several steroid hormone drugs since the 1950s. By increasing the animal's growth rate, these drugs promote high profits and lean meat. These steroid hormones are used in beef cattle and sheep. They include estrogen, progesterone and testosterone.

Since every type of meat is from the female animal, the meat contains synthetic female hormones that are given to the animals in order to make them develop faster and bigger. These synthetic hormones cause female reproductive area cancers in women and prostate and testicular cancer in men. By consuming synthetic hormones from an animal, the human's hormonal balance becomes disrupted. This can lead to several health conditions including the premature onset of puberty and development of children.


Red Meat

Red meats are particularly unhealthy and contain high amounts of saturated fats that raise blood cholesterol and increase the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and other compounds that can promote cancer. In fact, red meat consumption has been known to increase your risk of developing colorectal, lung, stomach, pancreatic, esophageal, and endometrial cancers.

The by-product of meat consumption is uric acid, which causes inflammation and creates excess mucus in the body. Essentially, uric acid acidifies the body. If you consume meat, you are putting yourself at risk for catching Mad Cow Disease.

Frequent red meat eaters face a higher risk of developing colon cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, and endometriosis.

Humans are not supplied with the appropriate enzymes for digesting meat, fur, wool, or feathers. Human beings are herbivores by nature, but society has crafted everyone into a meat-eating carnivore.

Consuming more of a plant-based diet can substantially reduce the risk of developing a chronic disease and dying prematurely.


Processing and Cooking

When cooked, meat produces harmful compounds called carcinogens. When animal meat is cooked at high temperatures, heterocyclic amines form because the amino acids and creatine react. Cooking red meat can release nitrosamines, increasing your risk of developing cancer.

There are six main treatments of meat products that apply to the various processing technologies.

    Fresh processed meat products
    Cured meat pieces
    Raw-cooked products
    Pre-cooked cooked products
    Raw (dry)- fermented sausages



Do we want this for the future leaders of our world?

I hope you said no!
Well, we're talking about red meat today because I'm about to veganize something you'd find June Cleaver in the kitchen making..
What's this, you say?  What could you possibly veganize red-meatish for us this time?

Meatloaf!


Honestly, I really don't remember my own mother making this, but maybe she did.

So, let's do some numbers on this gem, which I think I'll make mac and cheese with mine






Meat Loaf                                  Veganloaf
                     One Large Slice
Calories - 294                                  112
Total Fat  - 18                                     4
Cholesterol - 114                                0
Sodium - 596                                  122
Total Carbs - 10                                 4
Fiber - 0                                             4
Protein - 23                                        2
WW Pts - 8                                        1

There should be no convincing here.
My goal is to make things I make taste like the real thing.. but I really could use a victim.  Haven't had many as of late.  If you want to have a nice spot of meat loaf with me this weekend, give me a holler.   I'll have plenty!

In the mean-time, I'll be preparing for my own mothers day festivities... doing what?  I dunno.  ;)


See you this weekend, in the kitchen!


Music enjoyed while blogging
Subsonic Radio

Current Motivation
Nothing, actually

Current Craving
Mashed Potatoes, veganized, by my OWN mom (she, strangely enough can make them taste like the un-vegan ones I can remember.. why can't I?)

No comments:

Post a Comment