Monday, March 25, 2013

Recipe 78. Lil 'Ri Oatmeal Cream Pies (Little Debbie knockoffs)

It was a somewhat cool, exhausting night in the Rainbows of Vegan Love household on Saturday.  I was supposed to go to a Burlesque show that night, but it just so happened, a child of mine was very sick (still is) and this mom needed to be home in order to 'force feed' every couple of hours. 
Ok.  It's the least I can do.  My kids are really - my family.  My children.  If one is in pain, I have to be the mom, and I will be.  They tolerate me and my weirdness, I'm certainly going to take care of them in their time of need.   Please send out good vibes of love and healing (prayers if you do that) and anything else for Bella right now.   We're not sure what's wrong with her, she's due for more blood tests in the next week or so.  This mom is a wreck, so any divine help would sure be a wonderful thing.  I can't lose another child so soon after my boy in August.
Bella thanks you for the prayers and cuddles.

So, it was Saturday, and in between feeding Bella, feeding myself and answering texts with icing covering my hands, I made great strides.
I started out by ripping the word 'bride' off of the ex-wife's hoodie and leaving it read the name of the chef of these Oatmeal Cream Pies..  I think It's ingenious.  If only I'd done that to the pink hoodie (which was mine) instead I pulled those off in a weird frenzy when I found it and now that one just has a tetris of rhinestone rippings off ot it.
Oh well.

On to the cookies.  Obviously, the dough was first.  
These very much resembled my grandma's oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, w/o the chocolate chips.  (I almost added chocolate chips, but that wouldn't be the idea I was after).
This time I removed the dough by tablespoon fulls (as suggested by the recipe) and placed them far apart from each-other (as they would 'grow).
Shoot, even doing this I still had cookies bigger than others, It's no wonder I failed math most of the time.

No matter.  It was bake, cool, remove, check on Bella, bake (I only have one, very pathetic looking, cookie sheet so these things take time).

I ended up with 17 sandwiched cookies when it was all said and done.

It was time to move on to the cream filling.

Now, as we've discussed, Little Debbie and Hostess are practically OBSESSED with marshmallow in their fillings.   It seems everything filled, from the most minute to something you wouldn't even suspect, is filled with marshmallow.
I decided against this... but made a marshmallow flavored whippy filling instead which *I* think tastes pretty dead on the original.
This is where my mess came in.  (Why is it when I really start to get messy, is the time people really want to start texting me?   It's the law of baking I suppose).
Each cookie painstakingly filled, and me getting frosting on my hands, and thus on top of cookies, to which point I was like - whatever.. who cares if it's on top of the cookie, I'm not selling them.
Til I had 17 little oatmeal cream pies...

....And was so undesirous of anything sweet, it took all I had to try one.
(You'd think, smelling and wearing Hills A/D canned cat food practically all day and night I would have welcomed something sweet, that stuff is putrid).
I tried one.
It was yummy.  It tasted like what I remember them to taste like.
At that point, it was time to wrap them up.  So, I did.. and they're all in a plastic bag, in my pantry.
Waiting for someone else to eat.
Anyone?
Anyone?
Maybe I can pawn them off at my neice's speech next Saturday....


So - Vegan v/s Little Debbie - is a vegan WIN.
4 wins down, 1 to go.

Speaking of next Saturday - it's our LAST vegan v/s contest.. and I've saved the most iconic for last.
Can you guess?

You won't have to wait much longer..
Hi Ho Golden... AWAY!

Music enjoyed while blogging:
Children squealing

Current Craving:
Potato Chips

Current Motivation:
Getting Bella to eat more!

No comments:

Post a Comment