Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Recipe 69 - That Gai, named Tom...

Good evening my friends.. and welcome to the next installment in Thai month here at RoVL!
Before I start though, I want to mention to everyone that our Christmas Casserole will be featured in The Vegg's Recipe Cookbook this year when it comes out.
Trust me, I'll plug it so you can buy it.  I LOVE The Vegg.  I infact used it in my Pad Kee Mao last week.  My lil package has enough 'egg' yolk for one more egg.. good thing I'm planning to order more.  I don't know that I could live without it.  

Give it a try!


Now, on to this week's recipe.  Tom Kha Gai is next on our list of Thai items!  
What is that, you say?!
Well, let me tell you.  It's Thai Coconut Soup.   Now, back in the day I had the chicken version, but we're going to stray away a bit from chicken for now and go with the traditional version which uses shrimp.
I'm on the hunt for vegan shrimp.  I know it's out there.

Why in the world would one want to eat vegan shrimp and not the real thing, you ask?
I dunno, I wouldn't want to fight with a shrimp, would you?
(I'm pretty tough, and people have called me a shrimp.) ;)
Besides, if you start thinking about it... it's all pretty gross, eating a shrimp.


Here are some prime examples of the type of disgusting shortcuts that the Asian shrimp farms do to save a few bucks:
In Vietnam, farmed shrimp bound for the US market are kept fresh with heaps of ice made from tap water that teems with pathogenic bacteria.
Bloomberg  notes that at the same company "there’s trash on the floor, and flies crawl over baskets of processed shrimp stacked in an unchilled room."
Like US meat farmers, Asia's shrimp farmers rely heavily on antibiotics, many of which are banned for use in the United States.
In May, ABC News bought 30 samples of imported farmed shrimp from across the country and had them tested for antibiotic traces. The result: Three of the samples contained detectable levels of these dangerous antibiotics.
According to a recent study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a quarter of the food-borne illness outbreaks caused by imported food from 2005 to 2010 involved seafood — more than any other food commodity.

Not to mention, have you really LOOKED at a shrimp?

Bleech

Kinda reminds me of a Camel Cricket.

Would you eat a camel cricket?



Excuse me for a moment, I have the willies.



Moving on:
Ok,
So - let's take a look at some numbers:

Tom Kha Gai                               Tia Kha Gal
                           1 bowl - 8 oz
Calories - 314                                  230
Total Fat - 21.6                                 12
Cholesterol -  86                                 0
Sodium -   523                                 258
Total Carbs - 17.2                            15.3
Fiber - 2.1                                        6.4
Protein - 15.3                                    19
WW Pts -   9                                     6


So, there you have it.  And considering coconut soup is probably one of my most favorite things in the world.. I'm going to make it for myself.. all mine! 
Friday night, no plans here - except that I'm making soup for me, all for gluttonous me.  :)  Maybe I'll vacuum while I'm at it.
Probably not.

:P

However, now I'm getting hungry and dinner is being prepped for me as we speak.   It's nice to have someone make you dinner every once in a while, especially when you go off of a juicing day.  Two Tuesdays down, four to go...

Time for gravy!
;)

See you all on Friday!


Music enjoyed while blogging:
Sheri's Shoobop

Current motivation:
Getting to dinner

Current craving:
kisses and gravy  *I could live off of the two*

No comments:

Post a Comment