Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Recipe 86 - Svegish Meatballs - IKEA style



Hello again my friends.. it's time for my next installation of my meaty May recipe concoction!

This past weekend I went all Swed on you and made meatballs.




So, my weekend started a bit like this:  I knew I had a ridiculous busy weekend ahead of me, (which actually ended up being not so busy - but we won't get into that).   I just got my hair cut on Friday afternoon (quite far from home, by my adopted neiceage Miranda) then had to go to the store.  My mom and I opted to peruse the new Jungle Jims in Eastgate - which was fine and handy because I wasn't sure I'd be able to find Lingonberry preserves anywhere else.  I'd been there before, but even so, I was still lost! 
Enter the fact that it was now becoming 5:30 pm and my cats had not eaten. (Usually that means they'll eat my face off when I get in).  I also had not done yoga (and that can render me waaaay off balance if I don't do it daily).    When I finally got home just before 6, and got the cats fed, and my yoga out of the way - it had almost turned into 8pm.  I was hungry, I knew if I didn't throw this together now I'd never get to it.. so, I made my best
'bork bork' and started cooking.

It was potatoes first, (because I'd decided I was going to MASH my potatoes, rather than boil as directed for a usual meal of IKEA swedish meatballs.  I even *shudder* peeled them! 

---takes a moment to breathe---



Then it was onto soaking bread and almond milk together to start the creation of 'meatballs'.  
This consisted of two different kinds of 'meat'.  Beef and Pork.  So, I improvised of course.   I did do half and half.  Mixed all the rest of the goodies into the milk and bread and started creating meatballs.

The recipe told me to make them 'rather large' - which sounded odd to me because the last time I had IKEA meatballs they were small, but whatevs.
I made them large.. they almost resembled silver dollar pancakes! 






Fried them up
Mashed the tatoes

Then started to create the 'gravy'... which didn't turn as brown as I feel it should have - but no matter, because if you asked me.. the GRAVY was the real winner in this dish.



When that was done, I piled my plate with potatoes, lingonberry preserves and my silver dollar meatballs and smothered them all with graaaavyyyyy!

What I ended up with was an amazing taste sensation, very much like the IKEA swedish meatballs I recall.

*I did the happy dance*
And although I look nothing like the Swedish Chef, I think that I have what it takes to be called 'the Vegish chef'.

:)

Meaty May is now on it's last rung and I'm about to bring something to you which you'll find at most picnics, which is well - fitting, considering the holiday to kick off the un-official start of summer is happening this weekend!


Stay tuned.  Details -- soon!

Music enjoyed while blogging:
Birds

Current craving:
More gravy

Current Motivation:
Sucking down dinner before bff yoga!

No comments:

Post a Comment